Thursday 23 July 2009

Apollonia Arsuf Day 2

Day two started off with a few teething problems but eventually after the dust settled the excavation got underway. We were joined by seven students from the Tel Aviv Institute of Archaeology so allocation of workload meant that everyone had to work in rotations. (Total of 12 students working under me in a 5x5 area)

I took the decision to quadrant the 5X5 square as the proportion of new diggers assigned to me was more than expected and this meant that I could only allocate everyone into specific locations to ensure that people could work safely.

We excavated in a new locus (context layer) and dug roughly 3 feet of topsoil out of the upper layers. Within just a few hours an early islamic lamp was discovered. Other discoveries included Byzantine sherds, Byzantine handles and Crusader/Islamic pottery.

After a much needed shower we headed off to the beach to relax and soak up the sun. Whilst swimming I managed to add to my list of Israeli injuries from last season; a nasty cut on my foot and an intimate encounter with a jellyfish. Despite three stings on my legs, I was first in the pub and ordering a pint of Calsberg!

After dinner we ended the evening at the beach again, sitting at the tides edge letting the water rush between our feet. I found myself thinking alot of my previous experiences in Israel, and the moments and memories of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment